‘Trade-offs’ or trade-ups as they should be more correctly termed, are often appropriate when a building is fitted with a full sprinkler system. Examples of the sort of trade-ups that may be possible subject to the Authority Having Jurisdiction include:
- Increased compartment sizes.
- Increased travel distances for escape routes.
- Reduced fire resistant ratings for structural components
- Reductions in the number of smoke doors and lobbies.
- Acceptance of sprinkler system as alternative compliance for access requirements for the fire and rescue service under Approved Document B5 or the Scottish Technical Handbooks
- Acceptance of open plan living rooms / kitchens in dwellings.
- Accepting non-compliance in the provision of means of escape for attic and loft conversions.
- Insurance premium discounts.